Transplant Athlete
Friday, May 01, 2009
  Little Eddie

I traveled 273 miles in the dead of night to attend my cousin Eddie's wedding in North Carolina. I arrived at the hotel with family in tow at midnight. I had to be up at 5AM to get to dialysis on time. TGL would not go to sleep and I was up about 4 times between 12:30 and 5am.

Dialysis went smoothly, they took me down to 71 Kilos with my shoes on, which is about two kilos lower than my home center could have gotten me. I did pay a price for all that fluid coming off. My blood pressure had dropped and my heart rate was well above my aerobic zone. It was now 11AM and I hadn't eaten anything since last night, so I stopped at a Waffle House for breakfast. I got lost but soon rejoined my family at the hotel.

Walking around was difficult because I was running out of breath and my heart was racing. Standing was worse. I really should have just napped at that point, but I wanted to be around the family. By the time we got to the church, I was dizzy and felt like I was going to pass out.
TGL pointing out the Jacuzzi in the church

I started drinking water, took off my blood pressure patch, and eventually took off my jacket (it was 93 degrees). As the ceremony got under way, it became apparent to me that all that standing was going to make me pass out. I started praying to God to get through it without passing out. I could walk a little bit, but standing in a stationary position was out of the question. In the middle of all this, my son fell asleep.

RJ and Q brought the gifts up to the priest with me following right behind. Laura was beautiful, Eddie looked goofy with that square soul patch.
Joe (Eddie's brother and best man) is getting deployed to Afghanistan in about a week.

Everyone loved my children and I kept hearing how cute they were. The reception was at 6:30 pm and the ceremony was over at around 3ish, so ABL and I took the kids to Red Robin and we got food to go. Once again, I should have went to sleep, but I stayed up and I was paying for it throughout the ceremony. (possibly to be continued).


Email This Article
Comments: Post a Comment
I've gone through kidney failure twice. The first time in 2000, my mother donated a kidney; and again in 2008, I'm on dialysis waiting for a breakthrough in immuno-suppression medicines before seeking a new kidney.

January 2004 February 2004 March 2004 April 2004 May 2004 June 2004 July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 October 2004 November 2004 December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 January 2010 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010 June 2010 July 2010 August 2010 September 2010 October 2010 December 2010 January 2011 February 2011 March 2011 April 2011 May 2011 June 2011 July 2011


Warning Signs for Kidney Disease:

  • High Blood Pressure
  • Burning or Difficulty when Urinating
  • Frequent Urination at Night
  • Blood in your urine
  • Cola or tea colored urine
  • Swellig of the eyes, ankles, or feet
  • Lower back pain unrelated to physical activity

Send Me Email:

Blogs I Read:
Ultra Rob
Get Rich Slowly