Transplant Athlete
Tuesday, May 08, 2007

When ABL told me she had to go to Colorado on business, I panicked. Several days alone with the kids? I wasn't sure I could do it by myself. I take care of them during the day, but nighttime is ABL's turn. She knows what they eat, and they are picky (my fault).

After calming down, I realized I could take them to McD's on Sunday, which would make them miss their mommy less. Then ABL told me about a playdate at the Loudoun Gymnastics organized by one of the mothers in Q's class. Sure I thought, that would keep them busy on Monday and then Q has school on Tuesday, and then mommy is home on Wednesday...

First of all, if I was a kid, Loudoun Gymnastics would be the bomb. As a parent though, I'm thinking...Lots of high places to fall off of - they need railings!!!! (what's wrong with me?). I'm not sure why, but RJ wasn't really happy to be there. It could have been all the other parents, or it could have been all the other kids, but I had to coax him into the bouncy castle. I then took him up to the rope swing, but he didn't want to do that either. I put him on the trampoline and he started laughing and having fun, so we went onto the really long trampoline and I chased after him. I landed near him, near the end of the trampoline and he pitched forward onto the tramp and then started crying. He was grumpy for the next 45 minutes and wouldn't put any weight on his foot. After nap time his condition hadn't improved and a bruise had developed on his leg. I took him to the ER and the doc ordered x-rays for his lower leg. After about an hour, he said it was probably just a sprain. I showed him how RJ wouldn't put any weight on his leg, so he rotated RJ's ankle, knee, and then checked out his hip. He noticed RJ was wincing, so he ordered x-rays for the upper leg and hip area. After about another hour he said it was probably just a sprain, but he ordered a splint for the leg.

My kids are apparently establishing a pattern of needing ER visits when one parent is out of town. ABL freaked when she found out, but he's fine, getting carried everywhere and getting to veg out on the couch to cartoons. That's the life.


Email This Article
Comments: Post a Comment
I've gone through kidney failure twice. The first time in 2000, my mother donated a kidney; and again in 2008, I'm on dialysis waiting for a breakthrough in immuno-suppression medicines before seeking a new kidney.

January 2004 February 2004 March 2004 April 2004 May 2004 June 2004 July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 October 2004 November 2004 December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 January 2010 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010 June 2010 July 2010 August 2010 September 2010 October 2010 December 2010 January 2011 February 2011 March 2011 April 2011 May 2011 June 2011 July 2011


Warning Signs for Kidney Disease:

  • High Blood Pressure
  • Burning or Difficulty when Urinating
  • Frequent Urination at Night
  • Blood in your urine
  • Cola or tea colored urine
  • Swellig of the eyes, ankles, or feet
  • Lower back pain unrelated to physical activity

Send Me Email:

Blogs I Read:
Ultra Rob
Get Rich Slowly