Transplant Athlete
Monday, May 28, 2007
  600 Km Brevet

Let's get this out of the way right now. I DNF'ed the 600k.

Clare and I made it through the first 100k without issues except for a hurried roadside pee stop. On the way back from the turnaround point, it started to rain, so we stopped under the eve of a barn so Clare could put on her raincoat. I thought I was covered, but my jacket turned out to be water resistant, not proof. I started shivering uncontrollably and Clare kept asking me if I wanted to ride ahead to get warmed up, but I declined. For some reason the scene in Top Gun kept running through my head, "I'm not leaving my wingman."

In Chemung, Clare asked the clerk for a trash bag for me to use as a rainjacket and she loaned me arm warmers. A quick cup of coffee later and I was ready to go, but every cyclist that saw me wanted to loan me something to wear. That's a good thing, but I was a bit overwhelmed. The sun came out soon after we left, and I warmed up pretty well. My knee was starting to hurt, but I rode through it.

We got back to the hotel and I went in the opposite direction and put on heavy winter gear. So, I left the hotel hot, but I figured it would either rain or the temps would come down. About 250k into the ride, my right knee started getting worse and Clare gave me some ICY/HOT to put on my knee. By 300k, I was in unbearable pain and started taking Tylenol to get through the miles. A dose of Tylenol got me about an hour down the road. I took a second dose to get us another hour down the road, but I could feel my knee getting hot and I worried that if I couldn't feel the pain, I would do some major damage.

From then on I did a lot of one legged pedaling. At the 350k control, I was advised to ice my knee to reduce the swelling. That got me most of the way back to the hotel. While we were there, we found out that Bob had gone off-roading on a tight 90 degree right hander at the bottom of a steep downhill. Dick, seeing Bob go off road, assumed Bob had turned the wrong way, so he went left and face planted into a freshly plowed field.

We ate, showered, and slept for awhile. I used a foam roller and ice on my IT band. Sheila took care of Clare and then came over to wake me up 30 minutes before Clare was ready to leave, but my knee was still messed up, so I went back to sleep. Clare said the wind pushed her out to 500k and from then on, she started catching riders and organized them into a paceline to make it back faster. They were together for 40 something miles when they came upon a rider who had fallen off his bike and she asked the group to slow down to help him, but they took off when she circled back to help. Not cool.

Dick had started out on the last 200k, but had trouble on the first steep hill, so he turned around and headed back to the hotel. I saw him at breakfast and he said he was giving up randonneuring.

Clare came back later that day after finishing her last 200k and I was so proud of her for finishing the 600k.


Email This Article
Comments: Post a Comment
I've gone through kidney failure twice. The first time in 2000, my mother donated a kidney; and again in 2008, I'm on dialysis waiting for a breakthrough in immuno-suppression medicines before seeking a new kidney.

January 2004 February 2004 March 2004 April 2004 May 2004 June 2004 July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 October 2004 November 2004 December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 January 2010 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010 June 2010 July 2010 August 2010 September 2010 October 2010 December 2010 January 2011 February 2011 March 2011 April 2011 May 2011 June 2011 July 2011


Warning Signs for Kidney Disease:

  • High Blood Pressure
  • Burning or Difficulty when Urinating
  • Frequent Urination at Night
  • Blood in your urine
  • Cola or tea colored urine
  • Swellig of the eyes, ankles, or feet
  • Lower back pain unrelated to physical activity

Send Me Email:

Blogs I Read:
Ultra Rob
Get Rich Slowly