Transplant Athlete
Sunday, July 04, 2004
  National 24 Hour Challenge

On Father's day weekend, I rode in the National 24 Hour Challenge in Michigan. It was quite an ordeal to get up there. I left work a little early to drive there from Herndon, VA. Mapquest said 10 hours. I was hoping to do it in 9 hours. I was on track to make it up there at 1am Saturday (start time 8am), when I blew a tire on my Ford Escape in Ohio just southeast of Cleveland. That was about the halfway point. I put on the Donut and since it has a 50 mph limit on the sidewall, I did the next hour at 52 mph. I stopped and checked the tire and it seemed cool to the touch, so I did the next hour at 60. I checked the tire again and it seemed a bit warm, but nothing out of the ordinary, so I picked up the pace to 65 and after an hour, I stopped at a rest stop and napped for 3 hours. Then I drove the rest of the way there at 65. I was expecting to get 6 hours sleep and ended up getting 3.

The couple of days before this trip, I was in Lexington, KY on business. So I had to pack in a rush Friday. I had loaned my wheels out to a friend for a race the weekend before, so I had to pick those up, I needed some supplies from Bonzai, so I stopped in there, since I was out...I forgot, however, to pack cold weather gear. I wasn't really expecting it to get that cold up in Michigan, but it did...So, I started off in the morning and everything was cool. It was amazing to see over 400 riders competing in the event. The corn was about a foot high, so you could see a long string of riders up the road.

I was on the bike for about 11 hours and put in 181.6 miles. It was a draft legal race, but much much hillier than Sebring. Nancy Guth mentioned that the UMCA Championships in Iowa have even more climbing in them. Around the 60 mile mark, my legs were burning, but that went away after about 20 miles. I struggled back to the start finish line after the 126 mile loop and took some Anti-Fatigue Caps from Hammer Nutrition and some Tylenol. Soon everything was feeling better and I went out and hammered on the short day loop. I was hoping to get three laps in, but I spent to much time at my car and on the second lap, I slowed down. They use a punch card system, RFID, and they manually write down your number and time of arrival at all the checkpoints. I forced myself to quickly ride another lap of the 7.5 mile night loop and then I took some time off the bike. I jumped back on the bike and tried to turn on my tail light, but the batteries were dead. I packed everything up, drove down to the corner store, and picked up some new batteries. By the time I got them installed it was getting dark, but the temperature had dropped precipitously. After much internal debate
"Its Cold outside, you should crawl in the back and go to sleep,"
I crawled in the back and went to sleep.

The event was very well run. I couldn't believe there were so many people there. The lawn in front of the school was covered in tents. There were over 400 participants, the top male did 470 miles, and the top female did 444 miles.


Email This Article
Comments: Post a Comment
I've gone through kidney failure twice. The first time in 2000, my mother donated a kidney; and again in 2008, I'm on dialysis waiting for a breakthrough in immuno-suppression medicines before seeking a new kidney.

January 2004 February 2004 March 2004 April 2004 May 2004 June 2004 July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 October 2004 November 2004 December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 January 2010 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010 June 2010 July 2010 August 2010 September 2010 October 2010 December 2010 January 2011 February 2011 March 2011 April 2011 May 2011 June 2011 July 2011


Warning Signs for Kidney Disease:

  • High Blood Pressure
  • Burning or Difficulty when Urinating
  • Frequent Urination at Night
  • Blood in your urine
  • Cola or tea colored urine
  • Swellig of the eyes, ankles, or feet
  • Lower back pain unrelated to physical activity

Send Me Email:

Blogs I Read:
Ultra Rob
Get Rich Slowly